Thursday, April 23, 2015

Event 1: "Waste Matters: You Are My Future" by Kathy High

Last Thursday I went to the exhibition Waste Matters: You Are My Future by Katy High. It was an art exhibit integrated with research on fecal microbial (poop) transplant and gut biomes.  Fecal Microbial Transplant (FMT) is a medical procedure in which fecal from a donor is mixed with a solution and placed into a patient. Fecal transplant is used to replace good bacteria that has decreased, usually due to antibiotics. This cause bad bacteria like C. diff. to grow and cause intense and sometimes fatal diarrhea. 
Stool matter in urine
When I went to the art exhibit, I was slightly confused as to the idea. However, with this week's lesson, I realized that the art is not only a way to express the scientific idea but to express personal feelings. In that way, this art exhibit can encourage thought, emotions and discussion. 

Fecal microbial transplant can save lives

*Sorry for the poor quality pictures. My iPhone 4 has been through a lot. 




No comments:

Post a Comment